As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to demand the attention of our communities and the healthcare industry in particular, we want to remind you that we are committed to supporting you. That’s why we are providing information, resources, and services to help your organization maintain smooth operations that support you as you deliver the highest quality of patient care.
Managing a Remote Workforce
As the pandemic continues, you are faced with deciding whether to bring staff back on-site or to maintain a remote workforce. If you do maintain remote staff, what’s the best way to manage your team? Ciox hosted an informative webinar and is working with the Journal of AHIMA on a blog series designed to help you make important decisions and implement best practices that will benefit your team and the patients we all serve.
- Access the recording of our webinar – Should they stay (at home) or go (to the office)?
- Five Considerations for Evaluating Remote Staff
- Four Things HIM Managers Wished They Knew Before Sending Staff Home
- Five Tips for Success as a Remote HIM Professional
- Communications in the Remote Work Environment
- Working from Home During COVID-19: Challenges and Solutions
- Three Critical Questions for Keeping HIM Onsite During COVID-19
- Remote Compliance Audits: Adjusting to the ‘New Normal’ of Remote Work
As COVID-19 elective surgery restrictions and shelter-in-place directives are being lifted, our focus will naturally shift to determining what comes next. What will our organizations look like? How will our teams and staff be impacted? What business continuity measures will be reversed and which ones should become our new state of “business as usual”? To help you decide how to resume operations in the near future and how to plan for long-term success, Ciox would like to offer some helpful resources.
- NAACCR has called upon a group of standard setters to look at issues with cancer, COVID-19, and cancer registry data to see what can be developed for additional data collection fields. Until standards are set, how should you handle Abstracting in the COVID-19 World?
- Denials will happen. Now may be a good time to Create a Better Denials Program. And why not take these 5 Actions for Proactive Denial Management?
- The CARES Act eased restrictions preventing sharing patients’ substance abuse records. Learn more in this blog post from a Ciox audit manager.
- Another thing to think about with remote workforces is What constitutes a “signature” in the world of COVID-19 social distancing…and beyond?
- Continue to keep these 12 Things for HIM Professionals to Remember During COVID-19 in mind as you plan past the pandemic.
- The New York Times has a helpful interactive map that lets you See How All 50 States Are Reopening.
And in other news … Interoperability and Information Blocking Final Rules and Supporting Patient Right of Access remain hot topics. Access recordings of recent Ciox Webinars on these and many other important topics.
Support for Your HIM Department
Our HIM team is ready to help you ensure release of information, coding, auditing, and denials management are all handled efficiently and accurately so your organization maintains operational excellence and ensures timely reimbursement. Let us know how we can help.
- Release of Information (ROI) – Our technology-enabled processes (backed by all necessary compliance and security protocols) allow us to carefully manage records requests by prioritizing requests based on care delivery needs while continuing to deliver records within allowable timeframes
- Coding – Ciox can provide PRN and short-term support delivered by credentialed coders and CDI specialists who are already set up to work remotely – or we can provide a fully managed, outsourced solution to handle all of your coding
- Denials Prevention and Management – Ciox has a team of multi-specialty clinicians with a thorough understanding of medical necessity criteria, excellent authoring skills, and experience working with appeals
- Auditing – Quality is always important, and our team of auditors can help keep your auditing program on track
- Education – We can provide education in all these areas to help you optimize your team’s performance – Access recordings of recent Ciox Webinars on coding, compliance, regulatory, and other topics
- Operational Support – Ciox’s team is all remote and we can use our experience to help you make the transition to a remote workforce
Tips for HIM and Revenue Cycle Teams
- Start with our 5 Quick Tips for Navigating COVID-19 Coding – be patient, fill the gaps, emphasize key points, evaluate your position on queries, and communicate constantly
- Bookmark Emerging Coding Advice for Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) – we’ll be updating this post as new information is released
- Listen to our recorded Coding Round Table webinar on Coding for COVID-19
Guidance from Trusted Resources
- ACP COVID-19 Telehealth Coding and Billing Practice Management Tips
- AHA Coding Clinic
- AHIMA – COVID-19 News and Resources
- AHIMA – Release of Information Recommendations
- AHIMA – Summary of Protecting Jessica Grubb’s Legacy Act included in CARES Act
- AHIMA – Telehealth Rises to the Occasion to Reduce Transmission of COVID-19
- AHIMA – Updated: AHIMA and AHA FAQ on ICD-10-CM Coding for COVID-19
- AMA CPT Coding and Guidance
- AMA Quick Guide to Telemedicine in Practice
- AMA Special Coding Advice During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- American College of Surgeons resources for cancer programs
- American College of Surgeons COVID-19 and Surgery resources
- CARES Act – Confidentiality and Disclosure of Records Relating to Substance Use Disorder
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Official Coding Guidelines Supplement: Coding Encounters related to COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak – Effective 2/20/2020
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines, April 1, 2020 through September 30, 2020
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries, April 1, 2020 Addenda (including COVID-19 code)
- CDC – New ICD-10-CM Code for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), April 1, 2020
- CMS Coronavirus (see the Billing & coding guidance section)
- CMS – ICD-10 MS-DRGs Version 37.1 R1 Effective April 1, 2020 (including COVID-19 code)
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network COVID-19 Resources for the Cancer Care Community
- SAMHSA – COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Response and 42 CFR Part 2 Guidance
- SEER COVID-19 Abstraction Guidance