As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to demand the attention of our communities and the healthcare industry in particular, we want to remind you that we are committed to supporting you. That’s why we are providing information, resources, and services to help your organization maintain smooth operations that support you as you deliver the highest quality of patient care.
Enabling Effective Health Information Management
Given the urgent need to capture the reporting of COVID-19, coding and ROI guidance has and will continue to be issued. We’re closely monitoring that guidance and have summarized it here.
Timely access to accurate information is critical to ensuring we are all capturing COVID-19 data correctly. These are the trusted resources we turn to when we have questions.
- The CARES Act eased restrictions preventing sharing patients’ substance abuse records. Learn more in this blog post from a Ciox audit manager.
- Start with our 5 Quick Tips for Navigating COVID-19 Coding – be patient, fill the gaps, emphasize key points, evaluate your position on queries, and communicate constantly
- Review 12 Things for HIM Professionals to Remember During COVID-19 to help you effectively manage clinical information that is needed for care, diagnosis, treatment, and payment.
- Bookmark Emerging Coding Advice for Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) – we’ll be updating this post as new information is released
- Listen to our recorded Coding Round Table webinar on Coding for COVID-19
- Download our Ciox Guide to Coding COVID-19, which guides you to the correct code based on the patient’s presentation.
- ACP COVID-19 Telehealth Coding and Billing Practice Management Tips
- AHA Coding Clinic
- AHIMA – COVID-19 News and Resources
- AHIMA – Release of Information Recommendations
- AHIMA – Summary of Protecting Jessica Grubb’s Legacy Act included in CARES Act
- AHIMA – Telehealth Rises to the Occasion to Reduce Transmission of COVID-19
- AHIMA – Updated: AHIMA and AHA FAQ on ICD-10-CM Coding for COVID-19
- AMA CPT Coding and Guidance
- AMA Quick Guide to Telemedicine in Practice
- AMA Special Coding Advice During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- CARES Act – Confidentiality and Disclosure of Records Relating to Substance Use Disorder
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Official Coding Guidelines Supplement: Coding Encounters related to COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak – Effective 2/20/2020
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Official Coding and Reporting Guidelines, April 1, 2020 through September 30, 2020
- CDC – ICD-10-CM Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries, April 1, 2020 Addenda (including COVID-19 code)
- CDC – New ICD-10-CM Code for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), April 1, 2020
- CMS Coronavirus (see the Billing & coding guidance section)
- CMS – ICD-10 MS-DRGs Version 37.1 R1 Effective April 1, 2020 (including COVID-19 code)
- SAMHSA – COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Response and 42 CFR Part 2 Guidance
Our HIM team is ready to help you ensure CDI, coding, auditing, and denials management are all handled efficiently and accurately so your organization maintains operational excellence and ensures timely reimbursement. Let us know how we can help.
- Coding and CDI – Ciox can provide PRN and short-term support delivered by credentialed coders and CDI specialists who are already set up to work remotely
- Auditing – Quality is always important, and our team of auditors can help keep your auditing program on track
- Denials Prevention and Management – Ciox has a team of multi-specialty clinicians with a thorough understanding of medical necessity criteria, excellent authoring skills, and experience working with appeals
- Education – We can provide education in all these areas to help you optimize your team’s performance
- Telehealth – “Virtual medicine” is growing, and we can provide education on coding guidelines for this growing trend that will continue even after we weather the COVID-19 storm
- Release of Information (ROI) – Our technology-enabled processes (backed by all necessary compliance and security protocols) allow us to carefully manage records requests by prioritizing requests based on care delivery needs while continuing to deliver records within allowable timeframes
- Operational Support – Ciox’s team is all remote and we can use our experience to help you make the transition to a remote workforce